Sunday, January 22, 2012

Taking Time

I am sorry to everyone who follows this blog that I have not been updating it as often as I would have liked to.  I have run into some health issues and have had very little energy to whip up food in the kitchen.  That being said, hopefully these issues will be resolving themselves in the next few weeks and I will be working my way back into the kitchen and creating whatever comes to my mind.  I am already feeling a lot stronger than I have been the past month and I hope to continue to move forward.

I have been doing some cooking, and have tried out a few recipes but lately my favorite has to be one that Aaron came up with.  He made ham stew about 2 weeks ago in the slow cooker and it was delicious!  The house smelled like Doritos for a while for whatever reason, but the flavor was fantastic!  It has been great to take to work and heat up after a cold night outside!  Below is the recipe for the most part as he made it.  He did add corn meal instead of corn starch to thicken it, but it just gives it a bit of a different texture.

Aaron's Ham Soup

Honey glazed ham with bone in
4 red potatoes (good sized)
1 onion
1 can of corn (or use fresh)
1 can of carrots (or use fresh)
1 can of green beans (or use fresh)
Enough water to cover everything
Chili Powder, Mrs. Dash, Pepper, Garlic, Seasoning Salt (any other seasoning you would like)
Corn starch to thicken if you wish

Chunk up potatoes and onions into smallish chunks (bite sized or 2 bite sized, your choice).  Dice up ham to bite sized pieces.  Put ham, potatoes, canned veggies, water, and seasoning into crockpot.  Cook on low for 8 hours.  After 8 hours, if potatoes are not cooked through, bump heat up to high for 4 hours.  If you wish, add corn starch (or flour if that is your thing) to thicken and make more of a stew than a soup.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment