Saturday, November 12, 2011

Cilantro Lime Rice (and the subsequent deliciousness that follows!)

I have tried experimenting with rice for a long time.  Usually it comes out tasting like rice with something on it rather than the rice being infused with the flavor of whatever I was cooking it in.  Then I discovered Two peas and their pod and that all changed!  I saw their posting for Cilantro Lime rice and I had to make it...so I did...twice in the past two weeks in fact.  The rice got me to thinking that if it came out tasting like I was expecting it to, then what would stop me from putting some black beans, chicken, salsa, cheese, sour cream and lettuce on top and making my version of homemade Chipotle.  So I did...and I took it for lunch almost every day for the past week or so.  Needless to say, most of my coworkers were asking a lot of questions as far as what it was that smelled so good.  All those good ideas from rice and Two peas and their pod.  I am going to post the rice recipe first, but I will also let you know how I did the bowls up in a subsequent post.  Pictures will probably follow in the next day or so...if it isn't all gone.  If it is, well that just gives me an excuse to make some more!

Cilantro Lime Rice


1 Cup uncooked long-grain white rice
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Cloves of Garlic
2 Teaspoons lime juice (either freshly squeezed or the kind in the plastic lime shaped bottle)
1 14.5 oz. can of chicken or vegetable broth
1 Cup of water
1 Tablespoon lime juice (same as above)
2 Teaspoons sugar
4 Tablespoons Cilantro (or more if you feel the rice needs it)

In a saucepan combine rice, butter, garlic, 2 teaspoons of lime juice, broth of choice, and water.  Bring to a boil, cover and back the heat down (lowish...i usually go for a 2 or 3 on my cook top) and simmer for 15-20 minutes (I averaged about 20 minutes with mine) or until rice is tender.  Remove pot from heat.

During the cooking process, combine 1 tablespoon of lime juice, the sugar, and the cilantro in a small bowl and whisk to combine.  Once rice has finished cooking, pour lime juice/cilantro mixture over the rice and mix to combine.  Either serve it right away, or reheat for when you want to serve it.

I took this to work for my lunch (obviously portioned out) for a little over a week (it might have even been twoish weeks).  I did make two batches of it though...I only had about four serving come out of each batch that I made.  The reheated wonderfully in the microwave at my job.  I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment