Sunday, November 20, 2011

Cilantro Lime Rice bowls (or burritos)

I know I promised this a while back, and although it had not slipped my mind, other things that were tasty have since come up and I have not gotten around to writing this.  As we speak I am heating my oven up for cranberry muffins...I can't wait!  But I digress.  When I made the Cilantro lime rice, I decided that it would be great to take to work and have a warm lunch instead of the traditional sandwich.  I wasn't sure exactly how I wanted to top it, but I knew it would be good.  Below is kind of a play by play of my version of homemade Chipotle with chicken.

Ingredients:
1 large can of chicken drained or leftover chicken
Spices (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, dried red pepper, dried cilantro)
1 teaspoonish lime juice
1 batch Cilantro Lime rice
1 can black or pinto beans (drained) or some peppers and onions cooked until soft
Salsa of your choice
Lettuce
Sour cream
Cheese


In a bowl (size depends on how much chicken you are using) place a drained can or leftover chicken (cooked).  To the bowl add dried cumin, chili powder, garlic, a touch of dried red pepper, and some cilantro (I would start with a teaspoon of all the spices except the red pepper which I would use a 1/4 teaspoon unless you like it hot...which I do...and taste it to see what else it needs.)  Mix spices into chicken, breaking up chunks as you go. Add a teaspoon or so of lime juice, just to moisten and allow the spices to stick to the chicken better.  Set aside.

In your bowl of choice (or burrito)  place a 1/4 cup of rice (or really however much you want) on the bottom for the base.  Add 2 tablespoon of black or pinto beans that have been drained and rinsed or your cooked peppers and onion.  Top with 2 tablespoons chicken mixture.  If you are taking this for lunch at your office, I recommend also adding in the salsa of your choosing now.  Yes it will get hot in the microwave when reheating, however it will also impart a nice flavor during the reheating process.  The choice is yours!  If you are taking this for lunch, that is all I would add to your bowl or Tupperware container otherwise read below for additional ingredients and ideas to add.

In a separate bowl or container, add some shredded lettuce (either romaine or buy a head of lettuce and pull it apart yourself) and a dollop of sour cream.  Sprinkle on some shredded cheese (cheddar is really good) and you are ready for a lunch to be envied by all coworkers you come in contact with!

When you are ready for lunch, reheat the container you have your rice mixture in in the microwave for about 2.5 minutes, or until nice and hot.  Top with container containing your lettuce, sour cream and cheese.  Eat and savor the flavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment